ASK was opened in 2019 in Merritt Island, Florida. ASK's mission is to provide quality, caring and evidenced-based mental health care with a holistic approach, acknowledging and welcoming the healing process in spirit, soul and body. ASK stands for "Ask Seek Knock" from the scripture in Matthew 7:7-8 - “Ask, and it will be given to you; Seek and you will find; Knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” The name and logo express that when we are courageous enough to open up our hearts to change, and when we are met with love, compassion and acceptance, then healing can truly begin.
Although our faith is important to us and the foundation of what we do, we welcome everyone, and only do Christian based counseling upon request.
Healing is hard work, but we can find joy in the journey!
JoAnna Knopf, MSW, LCSW
JoAnna graduated from the University of Southern Indiana in 2012 with a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work and a minor in Psychology, and in 2013 with a Master’s degree in Social Work. JoAnna did several terms in Americorps while in college, and received a George H. W Bush Point of Light award for her volunteer services. While in Americorps, JoAnna did three terms of Americorps service, doing GED tutoring at an outpatient addiction treatment agency and had many opportunities to do service projects such as going to the south side of Chicago with a team to help fix up an elementary school in a gang ridden neighborhood, and traveling to the lower ninth ward of New Orleans to help restore a park following hurricane Katrina. JoAnna began her career working in addictions, leading groups and conducting evaluations at an outpatient addiction treatment agency. JoAnna later brought her skills to a faith based transitional living facility to do individual therapy and groups with those suffering from addictions. Later, JoAnna began working with children and families who were involved with Department of Children Services, where she worked individually with children of all ages experiencing a wide variety of issues, did marriage and family therapy, conducted therapeutic supervised visitations with families and worked with foster families. JoAnna later became Clinical Director at Maglinger Home Based Services and helped train and mentor other therapists. JoAnna utilizes EMDR, Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Play Therapy and Sandtray therapy while working with individuals. JoAnna also has background in Christian Counseling and completed an internship with a House of Prayer and completed training with a crisis response ministry. JoAnna is passionate about walking with people as they become free from trauma, and to see people discover their worth and who they were created to be. JoAnna is passionate about advocacy, crisis response, as well as training and equipping others. JoAnna loves spending time with her family and friends, traveling and missions, playing piano and singing, reading, writing and learning, and outdoor activities.
JoAnna is experienced in working with:
- PTSD, Complex PTSD, and trauma
- Severe dissociation and Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Crisis Response
- Domestic Violence
- Mental Health diagnoses such as anxiety and depression
- Christian Counseling
- Grief and loss
- Adoption and reunification
- Working with individuals with Chronic Illness and Chronic Pain
JoAnna’s certifications/experiences include
- EMDRIA Certified EMDR therapist, EMDR consultant and EMDR trainer-in-training
- Advanced EMDR training in the use of EMDR with children, EMDR with the use of Sandtray therapy, and EMDR with individuals experiencing severe dissociation and DID
- CISM (Critical Incident Stress Management)
- Training from the Matrix Institute (addictions)
- Training from NATI in working with Pathological Gambling
- Training from Duluth in working with Domestic Violence
- Training in Motivational Interviewing and MI trainer for SAMHSA Facilities in Indiana
- Training in working with Veterans
- LCSW in Indiana and Florida
Alexa Buford, RCSWI, RYT 200